1. Heat the oil/ frylight in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add in the onions and celery, stir, cover and sweat for 5 minutes.
2. Add the bell peppers, stir in and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add in the courgette and again, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add in the aubergine, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the crushed garlic and add in the tinned chopped tomatoes. Add a couple of tablespoons of water to the now empty tins, swirl round and then add the water to the pot, stirring everything together.
6. Stir in the herbs and nutmeg and bring to a simmer. Leave uncovered to simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Next add in the balsamic vinegar, stir and simmer over a gentle heat for around 20 minutes.
Serve as a side dish to your main meal, or alternatively, just serve with freshly cooked rice, cous cous or pasta for a really simple, hearty dish.
Also perfect in a cold pasta salad; simply cook some pasta and stir in the ratatouille. Leave overnight in the fridge and take out the next day for a really tasty lunch!